Monday, February 12

“What’s with this thing, this Safi thing? You know, this syrup thingy that is advertised as a blood purifier? What’s a blood purifier, besides a dialysis machine? A liver?”

Laugh. “I don’t know. Blood purifier, my ass! The stuff some people will buy, man, it amazes me.”

“Yeah. Tell me about it.”

“You know, speaking of dialysis, I saw this man once. He had an arterio-venous fistula.”

“Oh, an artificial one, for dialysis? Where?”

“Medicine, the cold wards.”

“Jeez, when was this? You should have told me, I’d have come taken a look at him too.”

“Nah, he had uremic encephalopathy. His kidneys had shut down, the fellow was jerking every time someone touched him. When I went to examine him, bugger caught my arm, gave me quite a start, you know.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. But the fellow died a few hours later. I thought I’d go take a look at him again, and I’d have taken you along. But when I asked, they said he’d died already.”

“Hmm.”

“But the arterio-venous fistula was quite characteristic, you know. Large, too. The pressure differential was huge, felt like there was an electric current there.”

“Damn. I wish I’d been there.”

“Yeah. It really was something.”

15 comments:

Joychaser said...

having looked up all the medical terms, i understand the curiosity.

Anonymous said...

hmm....what's this arterio-venous fistua anyway?

Anonymous said...

haha!
maybe you'll know enough of the world to have a 10 minute long,intricate conversation about SAFI one day....
geek!
Dont blame anyone!You affirmed it!Artistically, even!

;P

Anonymous said...

@ Div: :) Jargon, and chaff, kiddo...

@ Agarwaen: A fistula is any abnormal connection between the lumina of two normally non communicating viscera or structures...
wow, I just made that definition up... LOL.

@ Iduna: I am NOT a geek..
hrmpf... *hunches shoulder*

ShadowStabber said...

Look, if you're feeling bad abt the fact that you've lost your sensitivity to become a doctor..you shouldn't.
There have to be some people who feel less and do more abt these things...

the [R]etard said...

hmm. well you are a *bit* of a geek arent you? i mean, if you arent then wheres the fun? :)

but i'm still tired. and just ever so slightly annoyed.

and i agree about the Safi bit (mainly because i didnt really understand the rest of your post... apart from the 'he had a...', 'where', 'nah, he had...' etc.)

March Hare said...

Okay.
That is creepy.
Downright creepy.

Anonymous said...

@ Sindhura: I guess you're right. But 'shouldnt feel' is an easy thing to say.

@ Shunshine: :).

@sen: Yeah. I thought so, too.

ShadowStabber said...

correction: you 'needn't'...
:)

Anonymous said...

ah!complete loss of subjectivity.
aamader(lit students) problem ta puro diametrically opposite.and therefore, obviously i understand.
*sigh*

Anonymous said...

err..vuduna being sister of iduna.
enjoy!:)

Anonymous said...

just an observation.
you HAVEN'T really lost your sensitivity, or subjectivity completely.
that's why you wrote this post, right?

Anonymous said...

@ alluder: I stand poked.. :)

@ Sindhura: I guess you're right.

@ Vuduna: Yes, Medical students and lit students are in many ways polar opposites.
Objectivity is our watchword, but I believe it is possible to carry it too far.
And I didnt know you read my blog, vuduna. Im honoured. :p ;)

@ Avis: I hope not. But its difficult for me to judge that. No objectivity in this matter, see?
:)

the [R]etard said...

*sigh*
you only :) me now-a-days
i think it's cause i'm just happy in the head.

Anonymous said...

youre happy in the head? im happy for you...
:D