Tuesday, July 8

I went to the joo today to meet an old friend of mine who is leaving for another city. I always feel sad whenever any of my friends leave, even if I don’t see them very often. I think its because in the back of my mind I know I could see them when I wanted, if I went somewhere, but now, suddenly, I can't.

Anyway, while I was there, someone asked me what it was like to dissect a human body. After the longest time, I mumbled something lame, like “It was great,” and then I stopped because I had nothing to say.

How do I explain to someone that standing in front of a gutted corpse reeking of formaldehyde, my eyes and nose burning, was one of the single most wonderful experiences in my life?

Look. No one has to dissect anything in medical school. You must study anatomy, you must be able to identify structures and trace them, but you don't actually have to dissect.

I did because I wanted to. There were a few of us who did, and the four of us would get together and read up on it, and bunk classes to dissect specific parts of the body we were allotted.



The reason I liked it, apart from the academic satisfaction, was that, for me it was almost a mystical experience.

I feel vaguely foolish even as I write this. I am not a theist. Not from any philosophic sophistry, or anything, but just because I can’t make that leap of faith. I wish I could, actually. Or even that I could have the conviction that God does not exist.

I have neither. I exist in a limbo of uncertainty. I imagine having that kind of faith would be like warmth in my head, a feeling like you get when you screw your eyes closed and tilt your face up to the sun on a winter morning. Perhaps true faith needs a special arrangement of neurons or something: a faith organ. I wouldn’t know.

Your own winter sunshine in your temporal lobe. It must be nice.

But that is the only time in my life that I felt that I was something more than clay. That I was intricately made, beautifully designed; that I was special, not because I was smart, or talented or anything, but just because I existed, like I won a race just because I showed up. It was beautiful, a heady, wonderful feeling. It was magic.

All of this flashed through my mind when she asked me that question, and I couldn’t put any of it into words, and I felt so stupid.

That’s ok. It doesn’t matter. But I’m pretty sure that if, tomorrow, someone asked me the same thing again, I’d still be left winded, searching for elusive words, to frame unfamiliar feelings.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I am horrified that in exactly 10 months, ALL of my old friends will be in this city and that working their asses off in a/c cubicles and the only time we'll see each other again will be in a wedding party or in a hospital. I admit. I am scared that we'll get the "time" to speak over phone once in 6 months and it'll seem we're talking for the first time, like don't know each other. I'm really afraid of that awkward moments which wille eventually come.

And in, say 5 to 7 years, most of them will be men like the ones you see in ads. Young, succesful, a sedan owner, a pretty "slim" wife, a little Horlicks kid.
Oh man. I can't relate the above images with the ones when we used to be 12 or 14. I guess i'm supposed to be happy. It's the good life as they say.

SPIRITed! said...

Thats exactly how I feel when someone pulls a face and asks me how I can ever like quizzing.

The post was great :)
And, you've been blogrolled!

Mind Mapping said...

hello :)

Aquilus~ said...

@ Mr. Banerjee: Yup, The good life... A happy fulfilled consumerism driven existence!

@ spirited: Thank you! Im so glad you liked it! and likewise!

@Merc: Hello!!! how are you? been ages! Im going to check your blog now!

the [R]etard said...

you know. It makes me feel silly to say it, but I know what you mean... in a certain way.I'm not very articulate when it comes to speaking at any rate. And I see all these people and when they're ask why they like doing what they do they stand up and say all these fancy things. And I rarely can.. or mean it at any rate. Why do I like it? I just DO. my soul wants it, if you want to put it that way. Have you read Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency? you MUST.

and helllooooooo! i am happy to see(read) you again

=)

the [R]etard said...

=/ what a rubbish comment that was. sorry =(

I havent done this in a long time... but you get what i mean, right?

Aquilus~ said...

@ Shunshine: Yeah, I get what you say.. It is difficult to talk, spontaneously, about something you love... Yeah.. 'My soul wants it' is a wonderful way of putting it. :)
And no I havent, Ive read the hitchhiker books and Ive been meaning to read Dirk Gently, but havent got around to it yet.. I must. And it's nice to hear from you again, too. :)

March Hare said...

okay. THIS made me think.

Mind Mapping said...

you know..
it's just sad to grow up.

Rajasee Ray said...

its sometimes sadder when you know you haven't but everything else has. grown up, i mean.

korperwelten. that plasticised dead body exhibition was called art.

and i always wanted to dissect the frog. i hated that they were alive and all and felt religiously sorry for them - but then i also felt cheated when they took it out of the plus two isc syllabus.
sacrilege. what a beautiful word. its not the same thing but i feel kind of similar when i say that to people. the whole frog dissection thing. heh. embarrassed to be evil.

Aquilus~ said...

@Bim: :)

@ Merc and Aarshi: Y'know, I was a freak as a child. It was very uncomfortable to be me. Now Ive grown, but I dont feel Ive changed. I've grown into me. It feels good.

@aarshi: hahaha. Embarrassed to be evil! hahah!