Saturday, April 15

Aquilus is latin for 'Eagle'. In Rome, it was the symbol of Jupiter, the king of the Gods, and the emblem of victory. The ancient Romans put it on their standard and as their armies slowly consumed what was left of the known world, it waved in its colours of purple and gold above the armor of the men who had left their homes to wage war at the behest of their empty rulers.

That is not why i call myself aquilus. I am not obsessed with victory. Sartre believed ( and I agree) that there is no purpose to life itself- It is a random series of occurrences and we are all colossal, cosmic flukes generated by an uncaring universe. We exist: and that is all.
The reason i call myself aquilus is that I like the idea of being suspended in space, far above... everything. I am like that most of the time. I am on autopilot, and I descend only when there is something that interests me.
Altus is defined in my dictionary as 'Grown, great. As seen from below, high. Hence of character, degree and rank, lofty or noble. As seen from above, deep. Of thoughts, deep seated, secret. Of time, ancient, or of great antiquity.'
Reading this over it sounds so very pretentious, which I really did not want it to. I want to explain my thoughts, send them out to whichever part of the unverse that cyberspace occupies. But I will not change it. Perhaps no one will read it. Or someone who reads it will understand.

LATER:
I have a dog. His name is Thor, after the Norse god of strength. I wonder what it would be like to be him. To be able to love unconditionally, without wondering how much the other person loves you back. Or how much he or she even likes you. Without any thought of return or whether you love more than you are loved. I wonder if that is bliss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read "Illusions" by Richard Bach?
Try this:
A cloud does not know
why it moves in just such a direction and at such
a speed.
It feels an impulsion... this is the place to go now.But the sky knows the reasons and the patterns behind all clouds
and you will know, too, when
you lift yourself high enough
to see beyond
horizons.

Anonymous said...

Wow.
I will definitely try and find the book.

It feels like that in my head sometimes.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

dear aquilus altus,
i dont know you. but like you said, anonymity can be fun. i dont know why but i just dont feel good about putting my *blogger identity* up on this. and i'd love it if you read this, took it apart and declared that you were king. and deleted it there after. call me paranoid or selfconcious i dont care. this is just strange.
i took a trip or sorts, across your blog.
i cant say i *enjoyed* it. it was fantastic but a little ... well i forget the word. but that is of little consequence.
maybe it was just today and what happened inside it. or maybe it was just my entire life. maybe i'm rambling too much now. your writing gripped me, like harry potter gripped me and salman rushdie gripped me. thats saying a lot because that doesnt happen often.
in any case, i will explain. slowly.

Anonymous said...

OF sorts. not or sorts.

Anonymous said...

Dear anon: I am replying to your comment after a very long time, because I, well, hadnt seen it before. Thank you for what you said.
Its all right about the whole identity thing. Anonymity is one of the charms of cyberspace. Its one of the reasons I blog!
And thank you again.