Friday, November 10

Before I became a not very pompous young man, I used to be an extremely pompous boy. I wrote horribly. Verbosely. Pompously.

I wrote this poem in the space of fifteen minutes as part of a creative writing competition for a fest that I went to.

This is one of the very few love poems I have written, and it is one amongst those of my own poems I least like. However it did win me the first prize, and I like the way I arranged the poem in three line stanzas.

I am putting this up to show one person who agonizes about her own writing, one of the follies that litter the landscape of my own creative efforts.

Before you read it, remember to not judge me too harshly. I was young. And foolish. And had a crush on a girl I thought I’d never see again.

Ah. Youth.

The topic they gave us was, “Love Among the Ruins.”
Yes, I know. Browning turns in his grave.
And yes, I have noticed my creative use of adverbs. It is called poetic license.

LOVE AMONG THE RUINS

The velvet night was dark.
Yet it all stood out so stark,
Against the confusion that was your hair.

We stood in front of the walls,
That stood surrounding the dark halls.
Our love, we vowed, would never end.

The wind from the sea was salt, and sweet,
I saw you turn to me, watched our eyes meet.
But I never finished what I meant to say.

When I met you that night,
Your face was framed with ethereal light.
I was falling into the dark pools of your eyes.

The walls echoed softly, with whispers and sighs,
Of long dead lovers, their half-truths, and lies,
The ruined halls calm, and indifferent to our love.

We turned from each other, tears in our eyes,
I was a fool, and so we said our goodbyes.
But our love was enduring, as timeless as the ruins.

I meet you today, after eons, it seems,
And these ruins are the same, moonlight gleams
Off them tonight, as they have done for years.

18 comments:

the [R]etard said...

that is sweet :)

really.

how old were you then?

Anonymous said...

hahaha.
youre very kind, shunshine.
I was 16/17, I think!

Mind Mapping said...

:)
this is seriously very sweet.
and a 15 min time span is commendable.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wrote it in 15 minutes. as you can probably tell, this poem had been cooking inside me for quite some time!!!
Adolescent pangs. Hm.!

Mind Mapping said...

ohh.
i thought that you were asked to write a poem with a title"Love among the ruins" so u wrote one about your crush.
but no.
this is even better.
you had actually thought of a poem about your crush from beforehand only!!!

:D

but still aquilus...this is seriously very sweet.

Anonymous said...

but i love you...

Viator Magnus said...

huh?

i would have pulled your leg, but i'm nearly asleep.

but, duh, man! were you high?

March Hare said...

And here I go again..(have been visiting Rag'z blog..so that's why the again part comes in..)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

@ mercuryshadow: course I had. seriously, theres a poem somewhere in my head about every girl Ive ever liked. yeah. weird.

@anonymous: er...

@ Magnus: Nah, i wasnt. Hey, I said it was crappy, didnt I?

@bim: aw, shucks. :)

Viator Magnus said...

didn' mean it, really. this is cute.

cho chweet.

awwww....

:p

bah. and you know what, although you might think this an embarrassing little venture, i guess girls like getting pelted by poems made of treacle fudge like this one. so, did you show it to her?

Viator Magnus said...

and ahem, anon...

Mind Mapping said...

aquilus.
lets see!
post them all.
they'll make for a very interesting read..

:D

Anonymous said...

@ magnus: Oh, blah. Im embarrassed enough, dude.

@ magnus and agarwaen: course I never showed it to her.

@ Mercuryshadow: you'll start gagging on the "sweetness" :)

@ agarwaen: oh yeah! heartbroken young man. such a damned cliche.. :)

Rajasee Ray said...

you are so embarrassed about this poem that you wrote an intro before it "explaining" which was twice as long....?
:)Pompousness got you somewhere!

Xiamaze said...

hahaha!
freak!

Bone said...

sometimes i like pompousness. what's wrong in being larger than life? of course it's fake, but then what isn't?

Anonymous said...

@ Aarshi: I never explain myself. This is me being magnanimously self deprecating...
(this pompous enough for ya? :D)

@ Xia: We've had this conversation before.

@ Tbc: Oh, lots of things arent fake. But the things that arent fake are usually dull.
:)

Viator Magnus said...

new post on mine. go read. its the funniest i've ever done.