Friday, August 18

It is funny what things you overhear on buses. I was in a bus today, sitting right at the back on the left.
There were two guys in the seat for handicapped people just in front of mine, and I wasn’t really listening to what they were saying, but I couldn’t help overhearing.
This guy (tall, no spectacles), was telling his friend, (taller, spectacles, oiled hair) about what he’d done with his girlfriend the evening before. Apparently, she had been wearing a black salwar, which looked byapok, man, and no one had been home and they had danced to music, which was romantic, man.

And what had they been dancing to?
“Quit playing games with my heart”, by the Backstreet Boys.

What a waste of a perfect moment.

But I was thinking about this: I have a soundtrack to my life.
I mean, like you see in the movies, where they play music in the background, to suit the moment, whatever. Something is almost always playing in the background, when I am not paying attention; it’s like my own personal audio screensaver.

For example, if I were that guy, I know what song I’d have had playing, I wouldn’t even have had to think: David Gray’s “This Year’s Love”, or Third Eye Blind’s “Deep Inside of You.”. Or if I were feeling especially soppy, Teitur’s “One and Only”.

At college today, Fountains of Wayne’s “Mexican Wine” was playing, and later, when I was leaving, “Too Cool for School.”

But, for most of today, I’ve been playing “Creep”, by Radiohead. I love that song.
I always have that playing when I feel everything around me is reduced to incoherent fragments of images that I can see beyond a pane of glass beaded with raindrops.

Have you ever played raindrop races?

17 comments:

Xiamaze said...

i have been hearing things about you...

"tomar lej mota hoye jachhe"....
i dont know what that means...but i think it has something to do with you becoming extremely intolerable or something like that... :)

i like the last part.
raindrops.
that reminds me of the song we're supposed to do in tomorows fest...
ooof.
my fingers hurt.
goodnight.

Anonymous said...

What the heck, xia, does that mean?
And how could you have heard about me? Very few people know who I am, thats one of the charms of cyberspace...:)

Rajasee Ray said...

i have played raindrop races. at least, what i think you mean by raindrop races? Are your raindrop races what i mean by raindrop races?
Taking a guess at which one will roll off faster?

I know someone who thinks everything is either byapok or heabhy.Heh.

I dont have a soundtrack. :( But then, I don't have commentary either. Thank God.

Anonymous said...

yeah, thats it.
you pick your drop, and you will it to win...
:)

Viator Magnus said...

Ahem. I've heard this story in full lurid detail several times. So I won't waste words on it.

My background radio station tends to play Yanni a little indiscriminately. No direct correlation with mood. Right now, however, it's Eminem, I don't know why, "When I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn, rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice.."

Anonymous said...

i knew it. Yanni, for sure...

Joychaser said...

intermittent eavesdropping is such fun. but people still think i'm always absorbed in my private universe.

i like creep.

the mindradio constantly plays in the air tonight. constantly.

Xiamaze said...

hahaha.
i'm really angry right now
but still i'm laughing.

Anonymous said...

@ Diviani: Isnt it, isnt it? And I like "in the air tonight". My favourite Phil Collins song, apart from 'another day in paradise'.

@Xiamaze: Why are you angry? I wrote in a smiley and everything.. (makes cute puppy face)!!!

Xiamaze said...

you have a long name.

Xiamaze said...

oh and i am angry because of things that have nothing to do with blogging or you anyone else.
its just me.
ok i shall stop now
.

Xiamaze said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Xia, you have no idea... My real name is even longer than my blogger id. I actually have one of those anachronistic things called middle names!

Xiamaze said...

i AM talking about your real name..
which is very very long...

Anonymous said...

hmmm. Someone's been talking!!!

the [R]etard said...

*grins* this is so funny...

*evil grins* aquilus. we know exactly who you are... n we know ALL about you

and yes your name is excruciatingly long....

but... thats alright :)

Anonymous said...

Aargh! is my anonymity really gone?