Thursday, August 10

The smell assailed us as we entered the morgue. All the while we had been outside it had come to us in vague wisps. Now that we were inside, we could tell the smell was different from what we were used to. The smell at the anatomy building had been the smell of rancid flesh, coated with the civilizing veneer of formalin. But this was the smell of putrefaction, pure and undisguised.
I borrowed T's bottle of cheap perfume, and doused my handkerchief. It didn't really help, but I clutched it like a talisman.

The post mortem room, into which we entered from a short passage, was a rectangular room, with four concrete slabs perched on iron legs. At one end, a gallery rose, in tiers, for students to view post mortems, and an adjacent side had a shallow drain and a brace of sinks. The other end had a rack filled with bottles of congealed specimens taken from bodies. There were four corpses on each of the slabs, and another five on the floor between the tables. The bare-chested dom who ushered us inside flitted casually from corpse to corpse, talking volubly. This was a hanging, and that was probably a poisoning case. This one, he said, indicating a body with part of the skull caved in, was that of a youth who'd hit it on a pillar while swinging from a train-door. He trod carelessly on the forearm of a corpse as he walked across the room. It made a tiny rubbery sound.
His associates spilt some perfumed phenol on the floor. The smell receded a little.

The gentleman, who conducted the post mortem, an assistant professor of Forensic Medicine, was a dapper little man who spoke in staccato bursts. Magnus, Shaky, and I went up on the second tier of the gallery. We looked around while the little man told us about the documents it was necessary to have before a medico-legal autopsy could be performed.
The dom who was about to perform the post mortem (I don't know his name and will call him X) was a young man wearing a dirty yellow vest, and a pair of shorts. He had a scalpel, and something that looked like a chisel. He had a glove on one hand. A pair of ankle-boots completed his ensemble. He continually sharpened his instruments against one another as he waited for the professor's signal to begin. I saw Shaky's throat working, and Magnus had his handkerchief pressed to his face, his expression was exactly how I felt.

First up was a young woman, twenty three years old. She had hung herself, the report said. There was froth around her nostrils, and a rope pattern (the ligature mark) around her neck. She had long black hair, and she was dressed in a bright red salwar-kameez; the kameez had flowers embroidered in dirty gold down her front. X took a wooden ruler and measured her 'length'. Then he untied the knot at her waist and pulled the salwar off. Then he walked over to the other end of the table, and pulled her kameez off. She was left splayed on the table wearing an incongruously pink pair of panties. X hooked his fingers around the waistband and pulled them off.
This was the only time in the entire proceeding that I felt a rather surprising twinge, of something I can't quite describe. A sense of violation, perhaps.
I leaned forward to catch what the professor was saying.
"...and we must check for the presence of a sanitary pad or tampon, premenstrual syndrome is something that may be advanced as a cause of temporary instability..."

After we had checked the external surface of the body for marks, or any injuries, or evidence of sexual assault (there were none), X used his scalpel to cut her open. He gutted her, slashing unceremoniously from her throat to her pubis. Her intestines rose outward as she gaped open. He sawed through the soft connections of her ribs to her sternum with a grating sound. He flicked her sternum away, and it landed between her obscenely spread thighs, leaving a glistening smear against her genitals. X cut her flesh from her ribs, and her breasts sagged against the sides of her body, like flaccid bags.
They took her stomach out. It had also been cut open, and it spilled the remnants of her last meal. They put in a plastic bottle, for analysis. X cupped his bare hand and scooped some blood from the thoracic cavity into the bottle, before he shut it.
They also cut her uterus out and opened it.
She had had children.
After they had looked through the rest of her abdominal viscera, and placed them in a little pile between her thighs, X cut across her scalp down to the bone. He then proceeded to pull her face down, everting the skin, stripping it from the bone like a mask so the forehead touched the chin. He sluiced her skull with water, as the professor pointed out a bruise on her scalp.
They next took off the top of her skull, with a hammer and a chisel, and took out the brain. Chips of bone had flown everywhere. After we had examined it, he threw it casually inside her belly. It came to rest, nestled amongst her intestines.
This was where it hit me: these bodies come in as remains of human beings. They leave as desecrated sacs of viscera.
Behind her, at the other tables the post mortems proceeded at greater speed. Four had already been done as ours continued.
Outside, there was a flash of lightning, followed by a burst of loud thunder. I remember remarking to Magnus that the atmosphere was positively Frankenstein-ish.

Another woman had died of acid poisoning. They took her stomach out and showed us the corroded lining inside.
***
Shaky and I both wanted to leave, and Magnus followed us out.
We had to wait in the ante room before we could finally leave because it was raining so hard.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

To all that read this, and felt sickened, I'm sorry this post turned out so stark.

Viator Magnus said...

Yes, and I say so too.
You could have avoided being graphic. I have.
It is strange how we all have emotions, and yet we stifle them. When you asked me today whether I had waxed emotional over the issue, I didn't answer. You had asked whether I actually have emotions.
In answer, I leave you the observation above, and a question, rhetorical at best.
Do you?

Anonymous said...

why? what purpose could possibly have been served by being suddenly coy?

It is not a question of emotions precisely. I have avoided being sentimental. We have seen too many dead people to feel any pain at the sight of death. It is the desecration of a body, and the apathy, the terrible unconcern that we witnessed.
I wasnt saddened as much as I was apalled.
And you misunderstood. I had asked you if you had been able to remain objective, not unemotional. Different things.

March Hare said...

I feel sick. Really.

Joychaser said...

Desensitizing.

Anonymous said...

@sen: I know, Bim, and believe me, I'm sorry. Maybe I should have been less graphic. But I wanted everyone to see what it was like, you know...

@Diviani: Yes. That is what I wanted people to understand. The process of desensitization.
you remember that line,
"...Blood and destruction shall be so in use
And dreadful objects so familiar.."

Bone said...

this shouldn't have been the first thing i read in the morning. lord, i'm afraid to die.

i'll probably throw up.

ibedebi.blogspot.com said...

I've asked all my students to read this post. I want them to be face to face with honesty in literature. Aquilus, you will soar high one day, as a writer AND as a human being.

ibedebi.blogspot.com said...

correction. In fact, you're already soaring high.

Xiamaze said...

yes she gave your blog address to everyone in elective english class. you'll be getting a lot of anonymous comments...
anyway...the post...um....i was actually able to go through the entire thing and i wasnt really disgusted...i mean yes ...it was very disgusting...but it was mostly sad...because to the doctor person its just another dead body but that body was living and walking about just a few days ago....its just sad...i dont know why.
but this whole thing is written really well...i agree with ms. mukhopadhaye(dont know if its the right spelling) aka DEBI.

Joychaser said...

Don't, just don't, quote Shakespeare at me, please. Please.

I pray to god my mother doesn't discover you. My life shall be Hell.

"Oh. See? It is possible to be both....You just aren't good enough at either."

Grr.

Viator Magnus said...

To Aquilus:I won't answer the first question, the reasons being provided by the host that follow.
But on desecration, too harsh a word to use here, I say this - you desecrate only when you wish to. You speak of unconcern, which I will agree to. I have already talked about the above in my post on the incident at pleonasticplurivocations.
And looks like you're pretty popular, amigo.

To Diviani: Desensitising? It is not possible to understand the feelings of a human mind in a hell of that description. When you are overwhelmed by stimuli, you are not desensitised, you are overcome.

To tiny black cat: So is everyone else. Remember that joke about that yokel who walks through the forest looking for a tree to hang himself from, and still carries a lantern because he's afraid of snakes?

Viator Magnus said...

And besides, Bird, Shobhan Das is incapable of perfect Bengali, so don't put perfect English on his lips.

Anonymous said...

@tbc: I know... I almost didnt make it through writing the whole thing...

@Debimashi: Thank you very much. That means a lot to me.

@Xiamaze: You're right. That is how it is, just part of the job...

@Diviani: Its JC, diviani, everyone's read JC. Its not like I can recite 'the rape of Lucrece' from memory!!! ;)

@ Magnus: dude, please dont post names on my blog... Its a policy thing...
And I absolutely disagree. I stand by the word I used. Desecration may be absolutely unconcerned... In fact, it is worse when it is untinged with hate: i had almost called it defilement...

the [R]etard said...

well.


well, yes it's extremely well written and all that. but you tend to overlook that because of the content.

i guess i'm glad i wasnt there. but then...

okay... well you just got me thinking... so i have to go and think now...

i will come back and tell you what i thought.

but i disagree with magnus. okay, so its different for you 'cause you actually saw and i guess reading it over only brought back things that i'm guessing you'd rather not think about.

but... for people like me... the general public y'know... its enlightening at the very least.

and no xiamaze. it's not mukhopadhyaye. you are a dumb girl.

Anonymous said...

Thanks purplesunshinethings...

I hope it is informative.
The thing is, when one talks of things that have the potential to be of some emotional impact, one tends to cloud things by being subjective. I've tried my best to not do that. Thats all.

Joychaser said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rajasee Ray said...

i have heard so many dissection stories from ma but they were mostly funny.

that's funny. joking about cutting open what was once a person. stark. i think that's just what makes this so good.

youve put this really well and i have nothing to say.

Anonymous said...

Of course... You'll hear funny dissection stories from us, too.
We often laughed and joked while we dissected.
I think it’s a defence mechanism... you know, trivializing...

But this was different because there was no sense of order or of science... there was only callousness

Viator Magnus said...

well, then, you should call it defilement. desecration sounds too, er, religious?
i don't know, it didn't sound right.
but look at the papers. the nrs morgue stink-story is making headlines. is the press reading our blogs, i wonder?
and this to aarshi, i had heard a fair few stories about the same from my parents and uncles, too. but trust me, they fell short, way short. when you nearly step on somebody you weren't expecting to be on the floor, and when that somebody happens to be a starved, acid-burnt, decomposing woman...
purpleshunshinethings is right. i'd rather not go there again.

Viator Magnus said...

and like i said to aquilus.
anatomy was better.

Anonymous said...

And magnus: pfft! Of course, the word itself has religious overtones, 'sacer' is 'holy' in latin... But things beside 'religious things' are sacred. This was a violation of the sanctity of being. So lets not quibble further about this. I have used the word advisedly.

And aarshi, what magnus is saying is that anatomy was better because it was almost a sacred charge, you were explorers of secret things...
The contrast between the academic rigour of anatomy, and the callous functionality of forensic science was shocking.And thats that.

the [R]etard said...

my grandad who was also a medical student... used to say that the *doms* used to drink the alcohol in which the body parts were preserved...

Viator Magnus said...

YOU BET! EXACTLY WHAT MY DAD TOLD ME!!

it's just a med school joke. you've never been there. and besides, you can't drink rectified spirit unless under the peril of reducing your precious liver to gooey icky slime in ten seconds flat.

but i guess they live with that.

nice to see me joking abt it after all. i guess i'm back to normal.

after all, to ditch tom clancy, the sum of all fears is zero, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

I know, purpleshunshinethings, This is all around med school.
Lots of people have told me that you can smell the alcohol off them, but I want to know who actually went and sniffed at them?????

the [R]etard said...

=)

I remember this post REALLY well. In fact, I was searching for this and didn't know where to find it exactly so I read a whole bunch of them and found I remembered those too.

that's funny.