Thursday, July 13

I can’t do the melon thing.
You know, pick up a melon and shake it, and percuss it to see if it is good. I don’t know how. And I can’t tell if fruits are going to be sweet, or if the cauliflowers have insects in them.
I’m more of the ‘go to the supermarket and ask the guy who’s got a “May I Assist You” badge on him in which aisle I can find produce’ kind.
I prefer buying cartons of juice to actual fruit, and those readymade soups to actual vegetables. In fact, for a period of about a month when I lived absolutely by myself, I ate maggi every night, out of the saucepan in which I cooked it.

I hate maggi now.

In fact, unlike most young men my age I have never actually gone to the market to buy stuff. I hate haggling.
But there is one area in which I have the theoretical knowledge necessary to buy things: Fish.

First you look at the gills to see if it is well vascularised, and if it is wet. Then you look at the eyes, because apparently, hypoxia makes the nictitating membrane go opaque. And there are a thousand other things that tell you if the fish is fresh.

Now you must bear in mind that I have actually never gone to a fish market, and quite frankly never intend to. This is just stuff I have imbibed over the years.

Maybe this is some sort of mystical knowledge that is passed down through the generations from Bengali father to son: the genetic ability to tell if fish is fresh; a sort of bio-cultural adaptation, necessary to the people of a riverine civilisation.

I am sure if I ever have a son, and if there is a nuclear explosion that selectively destroys supermarkets, then, in this post-apocalyptic, supermarket-less world, my son would be able to tell if the fish is really fresh.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are a lot of things that are given to you. but then you decide what you accept and what you dont. maybe we wont have to suffer shopping for fish. maybe the fish'll just shop for us someday.

Viator Magnus said...

Cher ami, it is all very good, but our fish are from hyderabad, no? They are all weeks old, so all are bleary eyed stinky samples of Indian shipping quality.
Melons are not in my line.
I go to the market, everyone knows me (benefits of being born in a medical family- I give you free diclofenac, you give me top-drawer fish, melons and what not) and is wonderfully eager to lick my slippers, everyone gives me nice stuff, I don't even have to haggle...ah the good life!!

Xiamaze said...

hahaha!

this is hilarious for some reason.

i dont know anything about fish.
the smell is enough to keep me far away from fish.
heck, i dont even know the names of the different varities of fish.
and being bengali i have to hear about that all the time from my parents...

and i dont do the grocery shopping so i dont know about fruits as well.

Anonymous said...

yeah. when the shop guys know you its SO much easier. but then once my gran'mom (who didnt eat chicken) came home from the bajar and called my mom to ask her how many legs a chicken was s'posed to have coz she found three and she wasnt sure...

Anonymous said...

@ anonymous & anonymous: haha.. and hahaha.

@ Magnus: You bet... But what If you move?

@ Xiamaze: yup.. Fish is the curse of the atypical bengali!!!

Anonymous said...

yes, but it smells VERY bad.

(sigh)

the fish i mean, of course.

ibedebi.blogspot.com said...

Fishy tales, to say the very least.

Anonymous said...

@ anon: well, yeah! Thats why I only cook maggi. All maggi smells the same...

@ D: isnt it? ;)

Rajasee Ray said...

i stayed at haridwar for a week and when i came home, crossed the howrah bridge, that "fish smell" hit me full blast.
i thought i'd come back to heaven.
fish smells bad to some... smells good to me.
bengali blood?

Rajasee Ray said...

baba goes off every week to buy fish from basanti on the canning line at four in the morning.
ive gone twice.
its fun. every one should visit a machher bajar at least once.

ibedebi.blogspot.com said...

I love your enthusiasm aarshi. I love fish but I wouldn't go to Basanti to buy it. We had visited cousins in avillage beyond Basanti near Champahati once and had fish fresh from their pukur. Out of this world!

Anonymous said...

anon... hmm... i like that name... try putting a spoon of butter in your maggi... it makes it taste slightly better...

scorpionragz said...

I love maggi.
I know nothing about shopping. Hate haggling. Will prolly live out of canned fish. am an enthusiast of processed foods.
am only good in bajar as beast of burden. remain mute as mummy haggles.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!

Anonymous said...

@aarshi: you bet its bengali blood... And I have gone to macher bajaars when I was a kid, and yes, it is an educational experience..!

@Debimashi: Yeah Ive had fresh pukur fish too, at this village shajina that the parents once took me to. It is really good...

@ Anon: Ive tried it with butter, with cheese, once even with crisps crushed over it... In the course of that month, I've had maggi in all the ways God intended, and then some...!

@rags: absolutely! And I am a beast of burden at any place actual shopping takes place...

Joychaser said...

i can distinguish the different varieties of mango. i dont eat fish, the smell, the scales et al. i've been vegetable shopping alone only once. i bought worm-free bhindi, cauliflower and beans on that occasion. oh, and i can beat even my mother when it comes to haggling.

Anonymous said...

@ Diviani: I once bought potatoes that I couldnt cook..They sprouted little things and then I threw them away and cooked some maggi... And I cant haggle at all...

Unknown said...

fish. potatoes. maggi. mangos. melons... hehe. i cracked up reading the comments.

Anonymous said...

yes. its very fun. y'know. you should try soup or something for a change. to subject your poor self constantly to maggi is just inhuman. its as bad, if not worse, than chewing on a largish peice of cardboard. you would, in all probability, not die from maggi poisoning. but then you never know what they put in it.

but then again, it is VERY convenient.