Monday, July 10

Ok.
So I am a science fiction and fantasy buff.
Yes, I actually know what wormholes are.
And yes, I can name a fantasy author other than Tolkien who writes for readers older than 15.
I know what a Hugo is.
And incidentally, I have watched all the Star Wars movies, and every episode of Star Trek: the next generation.
In spite of this last, I am a science fiction fan.
I think it is exasperating, the way people bring up the star wars franchise or the star trek show in any discussion of science fiction.
I mean, I enjoyed them very much. I remember what Jabba the Hutt looks like. And I can also name every member of every crew of the Starship Enterprise.
But that is not all of science fiction. Or even very good examples of it.
And most importantly, that is science fiction without soul.
Give me a Frederic Pohl, or an Alastair Reynolds, or a William Gibson or a Robert Silverberg or a hundred others, who actually write science fiction.
Good science fiction sticks with you. You carry it around, and it influences the way you think, a little. For one thing, I still remember the day I first read ‘Ubermensch’ by Kim Newman. It blew my mind. And I still fantasize about having my own dragon, like in the Anne McAffrey books.
Science fiction is so much more than spaceships and lasers and aliens. Science fiction is a fiction of ideas, of ‘what-if’ scenarios explored to their logical conclusion. Science fiction as it is intended to be makes you look up from the book you are reading with a beatific smile and shining eyes.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a good read.

14 comments:

Viator Magnus said...

HACK ATTACK!
Really sorry, but I hacked into Diviani's blog and got the sidebar scroll marquee.
Check my blog!

Xiamaze said...

a literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments...environmental changes...space travel..or life on other planets...forms part of the plot or background

do you seriously want a dragon?
hmm....
reminds me of HAGRID.

Anonymous said...

@ Magnus: It Looks great. and seriously, where'd you get it? And dude, you really gotta give me the code for the scrolling. Pretty please.

@ Xiamaze: But, you see, these were genetically engineered dragons which communicated through telepathy, and teleported instantaneously from place to place. And you could ride them!
Now who wouldnt want a dragon like that???
:)

the [R]etard said...

my all time favourites The hitchhikers guide...
i remember staying up till two in the morning reading it and waking my mom up at intervals and reading out sections to her...
but she's grow used to things like that
anyway. i think you're blogs very fascinating.

Xiamaze said...

yes..
who woudnt.
:)

ps: can they breathe fire as well?

Joychaser said...

iter magnus, where is it? i see no marquee in your blog? and wtf!?! why're you apologising to him and not me, if at all you feed the need to do so(though why i cant fathom) and, hello, hack?? one only needs to view page source to get the rather rudimentary code!!

Anonymous said...

@ Purpleshunshinethings: Is that so? And thank you very much.

@Xiamaze: You bet! And yes, they actually could! According to the books they breathed phosphine.

@ Iter Magnus: yeah, why would you apologize to me?

@Diviani: Considering my deplorable unfamiliarity with anything programming related, tell me some time how you put the poetry into the skin.

Xiamaze said...

i hate the odour of phosphine (PH3)
it smells like fish.
i hate fish.

isnt phosphine used to kill pests?

Anonymous said...

yeah, its a fumigant and pesticide and what not...
Point is, It's spontaneously inflammable because of minute amounts of P2H4 in it...
anyway, I used to hate inorganic chemistry at school...

Xiamaze said...

i hate chemistry.
its my least -favourite subject.
one of the reasons i never took up science.

Rajasee Ray said...

you dont know what your missing... plus two level chemistry is so much more interesting (and so much harder)...

i love dragons! Except Smaug. I hate Smaug. All other dragons are my older black labrador. And the younger one is a tiktiki :). Because she's so wriggly.

Proginoskes.

Somehow, I like children's fantasy stories so much better... not science fiction. But fantasy.
I live, sleep, breath and eat fantasy. Amen.

scorpionragz said...

Unlike the rest debating on actually unrelated topics, fianlly i have found a kindred soul who has heard the name frederick pohl and knows iam not mipsronouncing hugh grant when i say hugo!!!
Hug brother, thou art initiated in our secret society!! learn the handshake, learn the code, and above all, suffer thru some vogon jeltz poetry!!!

PS- i am an academic authority on star wars and it has the most extensive background stuff over and above any sci fi movie. do some research before u trivialize it aquilus!! am affronted!!! (flares nostrils in indignation)

Anonymous said...

Xiamaze: wish I had been as wise!!!

Anonymous said...

@aarshi: Totally! I've read all the 'kids' fantasy. I have every narnia book, all the Eoin Colfers, The entire lotr with the silmaril, etc etc...

@ rags: heh heh (uneasily). Rags, I like it, but even you must admit that compared to all the other sf we read, star wars palls in comparison...