Friday, September 1

Are you happy?
Of course you are. We all are.
We have everything.
We deserve it for being born.
Entertainment isn’t a luxury any more, in our beautiful world of glass and plastic.
Everyone is golden.
We are born to be stars, all of us.
We will be famous.
Famous.
Rich? That’s not the half of it. We’ll be swimming in it.
There are no half measures for us, this is how we operate.
We’ll do movies. Or maybe I’ll be a rockstar, or a famous author.
Or, I’ll be a doctor; I’ll save lives, you know?
Lives. Imagine.
And you’ll be a lawyer, and put criminals in jail.
And you? You’ll be an environmentalist, you’ll save the forests.
We’ll all save the fucking world.

Everyone will know us, they’ll all want to be us.
And we won’t let it go to our heads, no, we’re not stupid.
We’ll stay away from drugs, and stay clean; and we’ll never be diseased, hey, get the fuck away from my glass.
What was I saying?
Yeah.
And then, then we will be happy.

And our many loves will all be perfect, perfectly chiseled works of art.
And they'll all last forever, our epic loves, forever until the next.
That’s how it works, haven’t you seen it on TV?
Everything will be perfect, and music will play.
It will be beautiful. So beautiful.

So let’s all jump onto the big pleasure yacht.
(Its white, but you can also have it painted a very fetching hot pink.)
You don’t need to sell your soul; you only need a little money.
And you deserve it.
You deserve to be happy.
You are happy.
And all the other people you’ll see there aren’t people, no.
They’re just props.
They’re all extras in the movie of your life.
Because you are special.

This is the dream.
Your parents will buy you the luxury of indulging in the twin sophistries of self doubt and over analysis.
Because if you aren’t happy, there’s something wrong with you.

So what have we learned today?
We are born into grace, our generation.
Nothing will ever be as good as right now.
(I’ll just turn the music up on my i-pod, the sound of this news report from Somalia made me miss my favorite part of this song. And who the fuck was Nero?)

We are the children of a perfect world.
We’re so thoughtful. We worry about who we are, and finding ourselves.
We’re so clever.

Aren’t you happy yet?
Of course you are. You just don’t know it.
Man.
Oh man.
You’re so happy, you’re fucking delirious.

15 comments:

Viator Magnus said...

Reminded me of a little poem I once wrote.
"Oh look ye, look ye, where ye stand,
Feet flat upon the promised land.."

I'll post it on my place next.
For now, I have a new one up already at pleonasticplurivocations.

Viator Magnus said...

And, I read this right, didn't I?
I-POD??

Anonymous said...

@agarwaen: Huh. manufactured angst is cool, what are you going to do?
And I dont know. But Even when it does, we arent going to get it here for the next billion years or so. In fact, when the 3rd Third Eye Blind album came out, I begged a relative in the states to send me a copy, its still not out here.
and that line, from 'why does it always rain on me' : "I get the strangest feeling you belong."
Gives me the chills, man!

@magnus: I-pod, in a manner of speaking, dude. Not that I wouldnt kill for.. ahem.

Joychaser said...

I'm so happy, I'm fucking delirious.

Marry me.

I'll be your epic love.

I want a perfect epic love. Daddy, get me one.

*throws a royal tantrum......... ;P

Viator Magnus said...

too much said.
i'll just shut up and go to bed.

and i guess i need to thank you all, including agarwaen, for not mentioning cobain. cliches deserve to be burned at the stake.

lithium ain't good for ya, man.

scorpionragz said...

ummm whoa div, ain't u becomin a li'l over-sentimental??
first loves a re painful.
i don't like them.

Anonymous said...

why nero?

Anonymous said...

@ Diviani: hehehehe. *blows a kiss.
And tantrum...?

@ Magnus: Cobain with lithium equals cobain with diab. insipidus equals no fire, and no burning at stake... :)

@ Rags: first loves are painful. And pointless.

@ Agarwaen: Yaay for copyright violation... :)

@ Anonymous: Nero, because he is said to have played the fiddle while Rome burned. Parallel to I-pod listeners who turn up music to block out news reports of famines. Thats why.

Rajasee Ray said...

To quote you, "woah."

this is so brilliant and that makes us so happy and we'll give you happy comments and remember what you wrote but never think about the words. we're so happy.

Viator Magnus said...

then WHY, dear aarshi, did you have to do a plural of the lithium intro?

aquilus can tell you why you'll spend a lot of time in the bathroom if you do.

Viator Magnus said...

and double YAAAAAAAY for copyright violation.

Subhayu said...

"people talking without speaking
people hearing without listening
people writing songs that voices never shared.............."

Joychaser said...

I do free publicity for your blog.

And for Viator's too.

Anonymous said...

@ aarshi: Yeah, we're all so happy. Words are just sound, they weigh us down, but its ok, we're happy anyway.
And ignore Magnus. He's usually extremely smart.

@ magnus: Triple yaay for copyright violation.

@ Guitargeorge: yes.
"Are you worried and distressed?
Can't seem to get no rest?
Put our product to the test.
You'll feel just fine
Now.
Buy a big bright green pleasure machine!"

Anonymous said...

@ diviani: lol.
aw, aint you the bestest?