Friday, September 29

I’ve been doing the Pujo thing.
Meeting old friends. Pandals. Lunch. Walking.
I have plans, everyday.

I’ve never done this before.
The festival would find me comfortably ensconced in my room, listening to music, and reading. And maybe lunch, one afternoon, with friends. That was it.

But this time, I’ve been meeting lots of friends. Some I haven’t met for a long time.
It has been a mad whirl of places to go, and people to meet. I’ve liked it. I’ve even had to decline invitations to two places I would have liked to go to, because I had prior plans.

Fervent pleas to the most inveterate amongst my pandal-hopping friends went unheard, and I have consequently rediscovered my loathing of theism, pandals, loudspeakers, crowds, crying children, people who ask other people called babui to take pictures in loud voices, mud, and the general public.

But I’ve loved being with friends. Regressing. Reminiscing.
It is a fascinating pilgrimage, this revisiting of past selves.
Wearing all these old masks is almost surreal, its like perpetual déjà vu.

As soon as this is over, I am going to go back to being very unsocial.

I’m going to bark at people whom I think are going to try to talk at me. Yes.

10 comments:

Xiamaze said...

i always do the pujo thing.

Anonymous said...

heh. Its funny, I never liked it before, now I think I do!

Mind Mapping said...

i do the pujo thing around my house.its fun.this is the one time when you can walk around in the middle of the road and no-entry boards hold good for people as well.

Anonymous said...

hehe.
Pujos and bandhs...
quintessentially calcutta... ;)

Xiamaze said...

apurva dont lie.
when have you done the pujo thing.
you are a liar.

Mind Mapping said...

why u going around saying im a liar man??
i am a NICE GIRL.
i did the pujo thing yesterday and day before.
i just didnt come to your house rupsha.so i guess the meeting friends part does not apply.

Anonymous said...

@ Xiamaze and mercuryshadow: I feel like I'm eavesdropping here...! :)

@Agarwaen: Totally. I totally get you, man!

Joychaser said...

I'll miss this pujo immensely. I've never done the pujo thing. The only time I did was ages ago when I hadn't even started school and I contracted chickenpox. Then in class XI I did the heritage pujo thing and went launch-ing to see the bhashaan because I wanted to know what pujo was all about.

I love autumn. Thats what I really like about Pujo, apart from my birthday. Fills me with a certain wistfulness about yet another year receding. The three bhaashaans I've been to have made me cry my eyes out.

Anonymous said...

I love autumn too. Maybe because I'm born in october, but its like the beginning of the year. I know, next post is about the same thing, and I am repeating myself...
:)

Viator Magnus said...

Pujo makes me distinctly uncomfortable. I have never liked the pujo thing much. Maybe I've had the wrong kind of friends, or the wrong kind of family, or the wrong kind of personality, or a mix of all three.

I find it hard to accept happiness periodically enforced. And the faces around me show under their masks too often.

So my mask stays on. Cemented. Rigid. Permanent.

It's almost my face now.