Friday, September 22

Let me set the scene for you.
Mid-morning. Three guys are lounging in the library.
Call them A, B and C.
C is a thin young man, in an off-white shirt, the shirt tucked decorously into his pants. B is clean-shaven, and very slightly overweight. He is wearing a collared T-shirt, also tucked into his pants. He clutches a schoolbag to his side. A is neither fat nor thin, he hopes, and has very scruffy hair. His shirt isn’t tucked in and he has spectacles.
We interrupt them in the midst of an altercation concerning something I don’t remember:

A: You, B, are a pusillanimous pussy.
B: And you, my dear A, are a pugnacious pug.
Pause.
A: Ok, that’s a good comeback.
B takes a bow.
C: Will you guys shut up? I’m trying to concentrate.
Just then, J walks shapeli-ly by. (I’m coining a word here).
Bigger pause. J walks over to another table and sits. R comes in after her, and sits with her.
C: You’ll never believe what I heard. Apparently X saw J and R kissing in the elevator. They’d stopped it between floors.
A: (incensed) What? We have to walk up stairs because that idiot R is taking advantage of that sweet young girl in an elevator?
B: (sniggers) sweet young girl!
C: Ha!
A: (dignified) Well, I don’t know what you people are insinuating, but I’ll have you know that she is a very nice girl.
C: And you would know that how? How many times have you spoken to her?
A: Very often. And both times, she was very nice. And she has perfect hips.
C: (in an aside) Both times!
B: Perfect hips?
A: You know, hips. As in the legs are attached to the hips kind of hips.
B turns around.
A: Don’t look at her hips, idiot!
C is laughing his head off.
They all look at J.
A: I’m going to go over there, and ask if the words ‘A simple desultory philippic’ mean anything to her.
C: What’s that?
B: It’s a song by Simon and Garfunkel. What if they do?
A: Then I’ll ask her to marry me.
B: And what if, as is vastly more probable, she has no idea what you’re talking about?
A: Then I’ll ask her to marry you!
C: Um. Hullo? She’s taken. R, remember?
A: Oh pfuit! You don’t think I’m going to let her childhood indiscretions weigh with me, do you?
B: What’s a philippic, anyway?
A: It’s a short, bitter, verbal attack.
B: See, its obscene that you know that.
A: What? I looked it up.
C: Listen. More to the point- she speaks in hindi almost all the time.
A: I had hindi for twelve years. I’ll burnish it up.
C: She reads Sidney Sheldon’s books.
A: (fondly) I’ll give her other stuff to read.
B: Wait. She has a Hum-Tum bag.
A: What!
B: Yes, look over at her table.
J and R are leaving. J has a Hum-Tum bag slung on her shoulder.
Long pause. A looks thoughtfully after J. C and B are smiling.
A: (announces suddenly) Gentlemen. My great love- it burns no more.
B and C are laughing. A is, too.
A: I shall now go and consume some pesticide.
Pause.
B: What, you’re killing yourself?
A: No, of course not. I want some Pepsi. Coming?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

DISCLAIMER: this is an extremely stupid conversation. A, B or C are not responsible for your iq dropping precipitously as a result of reading this.

And yes, A, B, and C usually do have better things to do.

Rajasee Ray said...

Hah! Hum-tum bag. That definitely should settle every question. I love the end.

Viator Magnus said...

well, you have kind of made a collage of several conversations between A, B and C about J. looks ok, in tune with the general scheme of things in the world of A, B and C.

but i would also like to add here that A thinks R looks like a dissected monkey. B, despite being a lad of few attractions, adds that R looks like a desiccated dissected monkey. and C remains gloriously aloof throughout this discourse of thoughts spoken aloud, lost in his own sweet fantasies about a certain, gorgeous M. or rather, on what he read up in harrison's about zwyllpwygg's gillywogg syndrome- or something to that effect.

Viator Magnus said...

and also, that A and B have MANY other better things to do. like listen to C blabber about the epidemiological distribution of zwyllpwygg's gillywogg syndrome.

Anonymous said...

@ aarshi: :) I know. A can stand everything but a hum-tum bag...

I mean, so A tells me... ;)

@ Magnus: Yup. It's all true... Dissected monkey... heh, that was inspired, wasnt it, even if I do say so myself!

@Agarwaen: Blah blah is my favourite thing to do...!

Mind Mapping said...

Haha!
this is funny.
we should've all died by now you know considering all the pesticide stuff.

the [R]etard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I know, mercuryshadow...

A drinks gallons of the stuff. I tell him not to, but the bugger just wont listen...!

:)

pancham_banerjee said...

Or How I Was Robert MacNamara'd Into Submission

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's the one...!

Xiamaze said...

even though they say pepsi is not harmful anymore i still think it is.
that advertisement is not convincing at all.
but that never stopped me from drinking.

out of context.
hmm.
cant help it.